Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Goodbye Buddlow

My heart hurts.  Yesterday, I had to say goodbye to my uncle.  He was in a horrible car crash that literally crushed him.  The car caught on fire and he was trapped for at least 20 minutes until emergency responders could cut him out of what was left of his car.  In the pictures I saw you could barely tell that the heap of metal used to be a vehicle.

He fought.  He fought hard for a day and a half.  Surgeons and trauma personnel worked hard to save him.  It was just too much.  Too much to recover from.  His children had to make the agonizing decision to turn off the ventilator.  He died surrounded by the family that loved him.

Buddy was a great uncle.  He was only 10 years old when I was born, so of course we had a lot of fun together.  I still remember spending time with him as a kid building a snowman in my grandma's front yard.  As soon as we finished building it, we tore it down together and played in the snow.  I'm pretty sure I tried to bury him in it. ;)

He wasn't perfect.  He had his struggles with depression and anxiety.  But, he loved his family fiercely.  Especially his children - Cynthia, Crystal, and Derek.  He was so proud of them.  His sister Teresa was his best friend.  He doted on his grandkids.

I think one of the reasons I loved him so much is that he reminded me a lot of my grandpa (his daddy).  We lost my grandpa over 20 years ago.  Seeing Buddy always reminded me of him.  They looked a lot alike and had the same personality and mannerisms.  Even though I haven't seen him as much in recent years due to distance, I still loved him.  My mom and her sister lost a great brother.

The last time I saw him was in August at my cousin's birthday party.  He was his usual jokester self.  He was so sweet with my kids, especially Savannah.  He had such a big heart.

When I was little, I had a hard time with "y" sounds.  So, instead of calling him Buddy, I called him "buddlow."  The name kinda stuck.

I love you, Buddlow.  I know you're in heaven with pa and granny...finally free of emotional and physical pain.  I heard this song today on my drive home and thought of you. Rest In Peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnTu0i9cj-I


 
 

No comments: