Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I Believe in Santa Claus

Growing up, I never really believed in Santa Claus.  I knew he came out around Christmas every year, but I didn't consider him important.  I grew up in a very conservative church and my mom never emphasized Santa.  She wanted us to celebrate what Christmas is really about - Jesus' birth.  And it is about Jesus.  I don't really feel like I "missed out" on anything.

Now that I have children, we try to incorporate Santa as a PART of Christmas.  We still teach our girls about what Christmas really means, but we also have some fun with Santa, the elves, and so forth.  We always have a picture made with him.  Of course, since our girls are still little they don't really "get" everything yet.  We know that Savannah doesn't really understand, but I think this year Morgan is starting to understand more.  This year is the first time she's ever said, "I want Santa to bring me..."  It's fun watching her figure things out.

Today is my dear hubby's 40th birthday.  We decided to spend the day out as a family.  He wanted to eat at Perky's for lunch.  Perky's is a little local coffee shop/cafe that we have just tried out.  We were sitting in the back of the cafe having our lunch today, along with about 5-6 other adults scattered about.  Morgan and Emmelyn were the only children in there.  We were eating when a special someone stopped by for some hot chocolate - SANTA! 

When he walked in, he saw us immediately.  Before he even placed his order, he walked directly back to us to talk to the girls.  Morgan's face lit up with such excitement!! I have never seen her that surprised, happy, and just in awe.  He sat down and talked to her.  She told him what she wants for Christmas.  He then posed for a picture with her.  (Emmelyn was there, but she enjoyed him from a distance!)  Morgan then went over to the window to look for his reindeer. :)

He was just the sweetest man ever.  He could've just come in, ordered his drink, and left.  But, he didn't.  He took the time to make a little girl's day.  I have to admit he made mommy's day too.  I was tearing up looking at the happiness on my little girl's face.  It also broke my heart just a little knowing that I may never see that look of awe on Savannah's face...we missed all of that with her.  Her brain injury stole that from us.

This man will probably never know the impact he had on me today.  His small act of kindness meant so much.  It gives me hope.  I think he might just be the real Santa Claus.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a great picture and an even greater story. I hope all of your Christmas memories can be as awesome as that one as you and the girls move forward in life.

Cara said...

What a precious story! I admire you so, so much.